Wednesday, August 09, 2006

About Liberal Christianity

As a Liberal Christian, I believed:
- Evolution is the best explanation for the current state of the Earth
- God set evolution in motion
- God created the universe, possibly via the Big Bang
- I did not (and probably would never) understand the nature of God
- I could not answer if God was caused or uncaused
- Jesus was a real person, who was probably touched by the divine in some way
- Jesus was crucified
- The books discussing Jesus (in fact, whole of the Bible) were sometimes accurate/truthful and sometimes inaccurate/untruthful
- Salvation might be true but Jesus probably felt it was more important to be good to each other while on this earth
- The concept of salvation makes it easy for people to be selfish about Christianity
- Everyone should treat each other the way they want to be treated

Uh oh. I just realized that I still believe most of those things. Maybe I'm not ready to deconvert.

Except that when I'm asked the really hard questions (John Loftus-type questions), the above statements mean things about the nature of the universe that don't make sense to me.

I'll go over a few of those questions in the next post...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home